Wednesday, January 25, 2006

You can look at it, as long as you don't grab it.



- Already Falling Off: I picked a bad week for my glorious comeback. I’m swamped at work. I’ll give a you a few things to chew on while I get my grind on. I WILL NOT FAIL. I WILL NOT FALL OFF MY SECOND DAY BACK. I WILL PREVAIL! RIDE WITH ME!

- TWNW: Bo's DJing at Medusa's Lounge at 21st and Chestnut for that Wednesday Night Weekly jawnathin. Schitt'll be fun. $3 well drinks, $3 Jaeger shots, and I think they've got $3 lagers, too. Whatever the case, cheap drinks, good DJing, and some extremely cute ex-drum-n-bass girls in the building. Can't be mad at that.

- Esquire: This is old news now, but last month (December) Esquire named Bansky their artist of the year (pdf here). I can’t say I keep up with the contemporary visual arts world to say anything particularly interesting about this nomination, but I do know that pretty much everything I’ve seen done by Bansky this year has been phenomenal. It’s all been very technically sound, politically interesting, and always provocative. Whether you agree with the sentiments he is expressing or not, I don’t think you can ask much more from an artist. Congrats, dude.

- Kobe’s 81: Here’s Bill Simmons on Kobe’s 81 and Scoop Jackson on it as well. I don’t really agree with either piece. Peep Free Darko in a few days for extrapolation.

- Cassidy: Absolutely guaranteed Cassidy is gonna sell more albums now that he’s got that previously lacking street cred. Sure “involuntary manslaughter” is no “murder,” but still, it’s probably enough to convince a few terds that he’s “real” (even though he’s totally not). I think I’m overstating the hate Philly has for Cassidy because I’m pretty sure a lot of terds like his dumb-ass (though God only knows why) and there’s certainly a hell of a lot of little dude rapper kids that sound just like him, but I’ve gotta say that the only kind words I’ve heard spoken about Cassidy from a resident Philadelphian come from a gay Puerto Rican kid from North Philly that went to highschool with him who expressed that he would like to “hit that” (or whatever slang it may have been).

- RIP Chris Penn: Random as shit. R.I.P..

-e

4 Comments:

At 10:44 PM, Blogger Drew said...

I like Scoop, but the dude's Sucker Free Sunday vernacular just gets to me sometimes: It was a "watch a car wreck on the 110 or watch a Bentley roll slow down Crenshaw" mentality. Aghhh! That and all the TV commercial shit: The McDonald's slogan to him is, "We Hatin' You." The Wal-Mart smiley face is a frown when he watches television. He can't -- won't -- push the Easy button. Nice Staples metaphor, I guess? I'm surprised he didn't drop a "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire" reference.

 
At 7:04 AM, Blogger kc said...

emil, good to see your blog is back.

I prefer Scoop's overdramatization to Bill Simmons' kobe-haterization. Simmons can be on-point with his Pop Culture references, but sometimes (like here) he just comes across as some nerd who has never picked up a basketball. kobe shot over 60%...so all that "selfishness" talk should be killed.

 
At 10:37 AM, Blogger Rocco Chappelle said...

Cassidy spits nothing but punchlines every two bars. I can't think of anybody that does it better right now. I have a soft spot for true punchline artist. He's basically Canibus in '97 but spittin' about fuckin' your bitch, coke, and guns (and yes I did intentionally write that sentence to mean that he fucks coke and guns as well as bitches). I have no problem with what he does. In fact I rather enjoy it. I’ve always kind of felt that the hate he got was a little inordinate.
On the issue of "realness", fuck off, reality doesn't exist. Everything you perceive is a figment of a solipsistic mind.
Being that I'm sick with the spittin', would it undermine my impeccable credentials as a killer emcee if you found out that my rhyme about fuckin' Martian bitches in their fourth vaginas wasn't based in truth?

PS
Get up on Lupe Fiasco, I listened to his mixtapes and I thought the dude was pretty corny but I got hooked after a second listen. In spots his wordplay and metaphors can be brilliant in their subtlety.

 
At 10:49 AM, Blogger Drew said...

I just Cassidy co-opted Sigel's style something fierce.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home