Thursday, September 15, 2005

...That's me but I'm not celebrity stricken...



- DJing This Weekend!!: So, I’m DJing at my weekly Crossfaded Thursdays with Bo Bliz at Filo’s tonight. It’ll be the first time we’re back in the building together for what seems like a long time but it’s only been a few weeks (we’ve been holding down the duties solo back and forth for the last several weeks). But, anyway, we’re ready to do it real big tonight. Got some new shit for that ass and we fixing to rock the fuck outta that little place. Come holler at your peoples. Also, Bo and I are now DJing EVERY THIRD FRIDAY OF THE MONTH at The Blue Horseshoe (Center city: 10 South 20th Street) starting THIS Friday with our homegirl Jenna (I believe her DJ name is Lady J). I think we’re gonna call the party Menace II Sobriety and it’s fixing to be a lot of classic hip-hop, r&b, and dancehall mixed with today’s jammy jam’s. Anyway, come see us DJ. We will kill you… in a good way.

- Iverson: Allen Iverson is the only god damn person I want on my basketball team ever. Read this. Dude is the shit and is fixing to lead the league in assists this year. Holler!

- Tip of the Iceberg: You know the expression “That’s just the tip of the iceberg”? Here’s a dope visual representation of it. I know nobody’s really stupid enough to absolutely need a visual representation of it, but I just thought it was a cool picture and didn’t really know how else to introduce it (i.e. shut up, let me live, and get off my dick).

- A Sad Day in Blog Land: I meant to post about this a couple days ago when it was still existing, but the wonderful blog Poetry Society of America has decided to call it quits. Sad, sad, sad news. Dude was a great writer and was a lot more stylish with his blog-hand then most of us. I’d venture to say that most of us just use this shit as some “look at me, I’m kinda smart and have somewhat interesting things to say about the world” type of tool to garner attention because we don’t get enough in real life and this makes us feel really inadequate and we need people to read this dumb shit and somehow help us approve of ourselves, but dude seemed like he was more concerned with just writing for the fuck of it, and doing it really well. I reckon he’ll be back soon enough, but I am mourning his loss. R.I.P. fairest one.

- Books: I finished Mind Wide Open: Your Brain and the Neuroscience of Everyday Life. Its subtitle explains it pretty precisely. I thought it was pretty good. I skimmed the last chapter because it was all about Freud and other random shit that I wasn’t too interested in. This isn’t the most flattering description of the book, but it’s basically an easy-to-read neuroscience textbook that skips around and describes random neuroscience blips that the author found interesting. Really, despite my horrible description of the book, it’s worth a read. I’ve gotten a bit better understanding about why I do certain things that I do and why I obsess about certain things that I obsess about. The greatest achievement of the book is Johnson’s ability to turn all that neuroscience jargon into interesting prose that develops along a fairly interesting personal narrative trajectory. There’s some genuinely funny moments, too. I’m considering deleting this little book review because it’s fucking stupid and pointless, but so’s this entire fucking blog so if I delete this paragraph, I might as well take the Poetry Society of America road and delete this whole fucking thing so I’m going to leave this fucking paragraph up. Anyway, I just started Stephen Talty’s Mulatto America--a “social history” of cultural and biological miscegenation. I have a feeling I’m not going to like this book. I’ll get back to you. Next on my list is Zadie Smith's new one (thanks to faux_rillz for the heads up).

- Your Summer Was Better Than Mine: Caps and Jones summer pics. Their summer was better than mine.

- When the Storm is Forgotten: New Saul Williams poem about Katrina.

-e

3 Comments:

At 6:21 PM, Blogger SergDun said...

man that fucking sucks about poetry society.

 
At 1:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

quit dissin yr own fucking blog
I read this shit like daily
so when you diss you, you diss myself (motherfucker)

now lets make this tape

-caps

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger emynd said...

When I can't think of rap lyrics to title my posts, Saafir lines just seem to pop into my head. Don't axe me why.

-e

 

Post a Comment

<< Home