Monday, March 21, 2005

All I Spit is Killer Shit

March 21, 2005

- Clock changing: I’ve always hated this daylight savings time bullshit but this time around it’s fixin’ to be even worse than usual. Apparently, according to this website, daylight savings time is all about "making better use of daylight" and the logic of it is basically that "If you live near the equator, day and night are nearly the same length (12 hours). But elsewhere on Earth, there is much more daylight in the Summer than in the Winter" and so Mr. Benjamin Franklin (Philly, stand up!) came up with this fucking brilliant idea to twirl the clocks forward and backward and shit. It’s mostly just fucking annoying to me and it really doesn’t make a great deal of sense. Furthermore, now that I’m waking up at 5:30 every morning before work so I can go for a run, when I put the clocks forward the first weekend of April, that means I’m basically gonna be waking up at 4:30 to run. Fuck. It’s already too fucking cold at 5:30. Fuck this shit. Some random writer I’ve never heard of named Robert Davies sums up my feelings nicely: I object to being told that I am saving daylight when my reason tells me that I am doing nothing of the kind. I even object to the implication that I am wasting something valuable if I stay in bed after the sun has risen. As an admirer of moonlight I resent the bossy insistence of those who want to reduce my time for enjoying it. At the back of the Daylight Saving scheme I detect the bony, blue-fingered hand of Puritanism, eager to push people into bed earlier, and get them up earlier, to make them healthy, wealthy and wise in spite of themselves. Our buddy Ben has invented a lot of wonderful things but daylight savings time ain’t one o’ them.

- The Autograph Man: I read Zadie Smith's "White Teeth" a few years ago on recommendation from a smart girl I know. I rather liked it. I've gone on to give the book to at least 3 people that I can remember and basically, if I'm giving the book as a gift, it's good. Anyway, I'm reading Zadie's newest book from a couple years back called "The Autograph Man" and it too is fucking good. It's a bit more on the philosophical, high-theory side in its attempt to understand celebrity, fandom, and Walter Benjamin's notions of "the aura of a work of art" and collecting. At the very least, it's funny. I hate how she's like 27 and already got two books under her belt and is smart and all but canonized. Productive and/or overly successful young people make me sick.

- March Madness: I'm in 4 NCAA basketball pools: 3 non-paid online jawns (all of which I am in last or second-to-last place) and 1 $5 work pool which I am surely not doing very well in. I am getting served something surrious. Weak. I felt pretty good about most of my picks going into the thing. Fuck it. Go 'nova! In other news, why the fuck can't Penn State get a half-way decent basketball team? I guess that is asking for a bit much since we can't even have a halfway decent football team anymore. I'm so ready to just quit my life and be a professional basketball player.

- What The Bleep Do We Know?: Critics hated it but fuck 'em. It's a good movie. Well, it's not a "good movie" in an Orson Welles sort've way. It's just on some life-changing and really fucking enlightening shit. Heh. That's a bit of an overstatement, but this fucking movie really changed my outlook on things and how I view the world around me. Quantum Physics meets Spirituality equals New Life Outlook... and/or... "Truth" isn't static. It's a a motley cornucopia of endless possibility. Pretty provocative stuff. Somebody needs to write some shit linking Quantum Physics and the Derridean notion of "the free interplay of signs." I'd do it if I knew a got damn thing about Quantum Physics. Oh, I just googled "quantum physics" and "derrida" and apparently, there's a "a somewhat hackneyed tradition of imagining Derrida's work as being the philosophical equivalent of quantum physics," so I guess I'm not as clever as I thought. Anyway, I think there is still some value in inter-disciplinary, Science-Humanities linking like that. Whatever though, see the movie. It's pretty eye-opening.

- Not Enough Cute Girls at My New Job: Weak.

- My Boy Serg at SXSW in Austin: Posted on the non-prophets messageboard: "I'm still in texas but I just want to say that Chingo Bling fucking KILLED IT on saturday night, Devin the Dude rocked shit, I have the most gangster picture of me and paul wall's teeth, I got too drunk to remember diplo's set, I told elijha wood to take his ass to the back of the pee line, blacked out during diplo's set but that wasn't before I set some miller light promo girl's hair on fire just because I wanted to be more of a dick. I think lighting that girl's hair on fire was the best part but yeah I've been having fun and seeing too much rap music. " This guy is amazing.

- New Diplo: Last but not least is a cutsey diplo remix of some latin Verve shit. It's cute.

-e

3 Comments:

At 11:36 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

All my shit is digital. Computer/Cell etc. they update themselves. Did the time change take place already? If so, how did I not notice that hour? -brains

 
At 11:41 AM, Blogger emynd said...

Time change shit pops off like April 3rd or whatever. You're good.

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger emynd said...

The ending of "autograph man" certainly sucks, but otherwise, i think it's kinda funny.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home